Friday, October 22, 2010

Last Cycle

This post is 2 days late but it is still worth writing. Having examination just around the corner and leaving back home shortly after my last paper which falls on the 27th of November, I had no choice but to bid goodbye to Royal Adelaide Hospital(RAH). Thursday was my last day in for the year of 2010. It had been such a pleasure working there. From finding the hospital too big for recognition of wards and department to having those at my fingertips. Though I would not say I am familiar with the whole building. There are some departments where only specific or particular staffs are allowed. An example of that is the Intensive Care Unit(ICU).

Events that lead to a memorable Thursday:
1. Went to the thoracic medicine department which is usually empty but not this time. In a room of 5 beds, I saw two rather young and good looking men. I wondered why they ended up there. Lung problems due to smoking? I hope not. If it is, it's just a waste. They probably looked around 30-40 years old and life has just began.

2. Went to 4th floor and this young caucasian men was really nice. He said hi and asked me how am I doing. I really like these patients as I just felt like they light up the quiet and sad atmosphere in the ward. That 'hi' made my day. His smile was so bright that it outshines the summer sun seen through the window.

3. Went to 6th floor, something very unexpected and rare happened. I saw this physiotherapist holding on a metal plate with some poo on it. I am not quite sure where it came from but one thing for sure, she looked disgusted and panicked on to how to dispose the materials on that plate. Well, she basically walked around carrying it asking for the nurses' help. I mean, this is understandable as she is a physiotherapist and it is not suprising that she don't usually deal with these problems. The solution was, throw it in the toilet and flushed it down. I guess she was too traumatised to think of anything. Anyways, atleast all the poo ended up getting flushed down and not on the floor of the ward. One of the nurse then got an air freshener and sprayed it all over the ward. It was definitely a funny scene.

4. An old man and a woman aged around 70 years old or even more looking for interesting books to read to pass time in the hospital. Through his comments on the authors of the variety of books on the shelf, I can see that he is a very knowledgable person or atleast a man who reads alot. On the other hand, the woman just quietly looked through the collection and picked two old western books that caought her interest. Usually people of that age have literacy problem but certainly not these 2 patients.

5. When leaving, Alison Matthew the Admin Support Officer there thanked me for my time and my help. The Thursday team wished me luck and their smiles and encouragements are among the things I would treasure from this experience.

Things that I learnt from the hospital overall :
1. Went to the oncology department and got a chance to look at how chemotheraphy is done.
2. Differentiate the pharmacist working at the dispensary counter and the wards
3. See the role of physiotherapist in aiding patients with movement difficulties
4. Found out that patients who have the possibility of imposing dangers to others are accommodate into a single room and have a security officer guarding the door.
5. There are chaplains in the hospital that visits patients and pray for them.

Those Thursday are behind me now. No more waking up at 7.20am to ensure I get to hospital on time. No more wearing formal on Thursday. No more sitting in the cafe overlooking the doctors sitting down and talking about their patients. I will miss those.

No comments: